Wednesday, September 12, 2007

everything's peachy

Peaches - grown in Minnesota - on my neighbor's tree - totally cool!
Our neighbor has a little peach tree in his yard, not far from our fence. In the spring, we get to enjoy the beautiful peach blossoms that smell soooo wonderful. The orioles love the peach tree when they visit in the spring - and then they fly over and drink and bathe in our fountain - very fun. Then we get to watch the little peaches growing all summer long. About three weeks ago, everytime we walked out on the porch, we were able to enjoy the most lovely sweet, peachy aroma in the air. Today my neighbor called and said, "Kris, the peaches are ready!!! Bring a ladder and a bag and pick all you want." I was there in about two minutes! They're always quite small, and this year they're very small - but the taste is pure fresh peach. I think we'll be having a lovely peach cobbler or maybe peach crisp this weekend. (If I don't eat all of them before then!)
Mark went to San Antonio for a trade show last Thursday. He flew home last night. This morning he was back on a plane headed to Chicago. He'll be home again Friday at noon - hopefully for longer than 12 hours!! He'll think the peach "whatever" is a lovely treat when he gets here.

23 comments:

Laurie and Chris said...

I love fresh peachs.Mom and I had some white peaches this year they are so sweet.A peach cobbler sounds good to me!! Don't eat to many and get a belly ache ;)

Diana LaMarre said...

I haven't had a single fresh peach this year. Yours do look good. I like peach crisp, especially with a good vanilla ice cream.

I may have to look for some this weekend.

Susie said...

Your peaches are about 2 months behind ours. Ours have a fairly short season, but are so yummy while they last. Sounds like your hubby will be ready for something peachy after all that traveling :)
hugs!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, next year I guess we will have to make a swing thur Minnesota on the way home from Alaska-----should be just about this time----tell Denny to leave a few on the tree for me!!!!

Missed our daily shower today, just a perfect day here, nice breeze 87 degrees and a pot roast in the oven, what more could you want????????

Enjoy the peaches!!!!!!
Love ya,

Anonymous said...

Those peaches look so good! I just bought some...I know, get a peach tree! I think I might! Thanks for the reminder!

Connie said...

I am very impressed with your neighbor's peaches, especially knowing your zone there! They look pretty, as well.

violetlady said...

Just makes my mouth water -- I can smell them from here!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Sometimes when I'm walking through the produce department, the smell of peaches will reach out, grab me by the nose, and haul me over to buy some. There is nothing like a peach.

Kitt said...

Sweet!

kate said...

The peaches look wonderful. I can't imagine growing peaches here. You lucked out with a neighbour who wants to share.

Enjoy your peach treats! And post a recipe if you have time ... yum.

Tara said...

I had no idea that peaches would grow here - the Twin Cities! Thanks for sharing.

Peter Hoh said...

Wish I had a neighbor with a peach tree. My immediate neighbor has a flowering crabapple. Pretty to look at, but all I get are the diseased leaves that blow into my yard.

Trailhead said...

My neighbor gave us a bag of fresh peaches from her tree about a month ago and they were gone in a flash. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Mmmh, your peaches look sweet and tasty. I love the blooms in Spring too!
Barbara

Unknown said...

Those peaches look FANTASTIC. Peaches are my favorite fruit, bar none.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oh lucky you! The photo of them is beautiful by the way. I love how you describe the fresh peachiness in the air as they were growing. It described it perfectly! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Melissa said...

I inhale deeply and can almost smell them...yum. Your neighbor deserves a special thank you!

Jean said...

Oh, your peaches look delishes! I've never made a peach crisp, may have to try that. I love them for breakfast with milk.

Anonymous said...

Oh, they look SO good! I love nice juicy peaches. I've gotten some good ones from Publix lately.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Oh My Gosh... Come by the WhistleStop kitchen. I posted a bunch of recipes with peaches earlier this summer. Even a peach pizza!
Enjoy them =D

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris, Oh my my, peachy peach pie!
Sounds delightful.

I bet your caterpillars on the parsley that will turn into Eastern Black Swallowtails will be a treat next year.

. . . and your hubby . . . doing all that flying . . . his arms must ache.

:-) Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,
just found your blog, love your wonderful grass pictures and the list of roses.
I agree gardening takes a lot of time, but it is rewarding..
cheers from Canada Gisela
I'll visit your blog again.

Dirty Fingernails said...

I am so jealous, the late freeze this year got all the peaches this year.. sniff sniff