Tuesday, October 9, 2007

getting ready for winter

I really didn't mean to leave the "accordion-playing girl" post up for so long. Thank you all for your kind comments. It's been kind of hectic around here. We're into prepping things for the cold months ahead. It's always more fun to do that when it's still warm out, but with our crazy weather - we had 80's over the weekend and didn't get out of the 40's today - we're just taking what we get. Every spring we spend weeks getting all of our summer toys out ready to enjoy another beautiful Minnesota summer, and every fall we spend weeks putting things away and winterizing so they can survive a cold Minnesota winter.

I had great fun over the weekend. Saturday we were out running errands and stopped at an estate sale. I will have to get some photos and do a post on it - but I found some wonderful treasures for very little money. What fun! We also bought all of the hooks etc I wanted for my new shed, and I spent quite a bit of time organizing that. Right now it's kind of jam-packed because I want to store as much stuff as I can for winter - but I think it's going to be very nicely organized for next spring. We also bought the stain for the shed - now we just need some dry weather so we can get it done!

Monday the kayaks went down to a storage garage we rent to store our Vette for the winter. (Oh, gosh - it's October and I never showed you a photo of my lovely Corvette! I will have to do a post on it because we are thinking seriously about selling it next spring.) Today we pulled the pontoon and it went to a storage shed for the winter. And tomorrow the big boat comes out. Then we get to start taking out the dock. And you notice this list doesn't include any garden chores I still have to finish!

Last night I was restacking the firewood pile (had to move it to put in the shed), and there was the most beautiful sunset. I barely caught it because Miss Tess decided to jump the fence and join me at the neighbor's (where she is most definitely not welcome), so I had to return her to the yard with a scolding and then go back and get my photos. I think this winter I'll have to work on getting better long-distance photos like sunsets and sunrises.

In all of our running around we really didn't see any spectacular autumn foliage. I think it was just too warm for it to really turn colors and now a lot of the trees are bare. The sumac was gorgeous and some maples - but our color wasn't as brilliant as it is some years. I'm sad that the days are getting so short, but I have a lot of activities planned for this winter, so before I know it we'll be enjoying another beautiful summer!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures. I love the color of the trees. I wish we had more of a fall down here.

I want to see pictures of your Vette!

Trailhead said...

Oh, the pain of putting kayaks away for the winter! :(

Anonymous said...

I know Kris, how much work it is to be prepared for winter when you live on a lake. When we were children it was my father who did all these things, taking out the boats, cleaning (here we could help a bit) and storing them. But you have started early in time, so you don't have to hurry. Here the forest trees slowly get their colored "dress". It is beautiful!
Have a good time!
Barbara

Karen said...

I'm in awe of how much you have to do for winter preparations. I guess I never gave it much thought, not being a lake or a boat person. But to put away the dock too! Here we unplug the hose, cut the grass short for one last time and call it a winter!

Your pictures are beautiful. I so enjoy your blog, Kris, as you take us through the seasons.

Diana LaMarre said...

My boss just put his vet away for the year, too. I guess it's time.

Those trees look very colorful. I 've also not noticed as much color as normal.

Isn't it amazing how much work has to be done just to get ready for winter! I plan to finish all of mine this weekend. It's always such a good feeling to get it all done!

Can't wait to see what treasures you found at the sale.