Wednesday, October 17, 2007

a great bloomer identified

I showed this photo on one of my previous posts - and I've shown these flowers on several posts throughout the summer. These plants start blooming in mid-summer and are still going strong - it's not even rebloom, they just keep going!!

Sandra asked what they were called, but I have never known the name. Mark brought me two packets of wildflower seeds from the Denver airport several years ago, and this is one of the plants that grew from the seed. So I just did a little detective work and found a wonderful site for identifying wildflowers: http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/
I think I'll be using this site often!! Thanks for asking, Sandra!!


Yellow Prairie Coneflower
Ratibida columnaris (yellow)

About Yellow Prairie Coneflower (Ratibida columnaris (yellow))

Height: Up to 3 ft.
Flower Color: Yellow
Plant Type: Perennial. Returns each spring from same roots, forming expanding clump. Blooms second spring from seed.
Flower Type: Daisy-like
Bloom Time: Mid-season


Is this wildflower invasive? No
Is this wildflower endangered? No
Is this wildflower edible? No
Is this wildflower medicinal? No

What is Yellow Prairie Coneflower's native range?
Indigenous To: From western Canada into Mexico.
Where Yellow Prairie Coneflower is naturalized or can be grown
Regions: Native to plains regions, but can be grown in all regions.
Zones: 3-9

How to grow Yellow Prairie Coneflower (Ratibida columnaris (yellow))
Soil preference: Somewhat adaptable, but prefers non-acid, dry conditions
Sun/Shade: Needs full sun.
Moisture Requirements: Adaptable to even arid conditions.

Instructions:
Like all desert or arid area wildflowers, ratibidas need loose, gritty soil to do well. Given these conditions, they perform as classic perennials, and are easy to grow.

7 comments:

Peter Hoh said...

Thanks for pointing out that site. Looks like agreat resource.

kate smudges said...

Hi Kris,

I would have thought this was a Rudbeckia of some sort, so I'm glad I now know what it is. It is very common here ...

Sandra said...

Thank you so much, Kris. I had heard it called Mexican hat since it resembles a sombrero, but this will help me get some seeds so that I can have it in my garden.

Connie said...

We had these growing wild on the N. Dak. prairie where I grew up. I always thought they were cute, so grew some this year, but it was a variety that had more reddish petals. I was disappointed in it, for the lack of contrast between the centers and the petals...kind of boring. Next year I will try these, as I still find them quite charming.
BTW, www.wildseedfarms.com is a good place for all types of wildflower seed.

Catherine said...

Beautiful !! And thanks for sharing the great link!! It's always fun isn't it to learn about a new flower!! :)
Thanks for sharing!
Cat

nonizamboni said...

I just love these and echinacea too. Since moving to Midwest, I have fallen in love with these intrepid wildflowers.
Thanks for sharing your great photos.
BTW, you asked about my friend who ran in the marathon. She said it was awful due to the heat BUT she came in in the top 1/3--pretty cool for her first race, don't you think.

Susie said...

What a great link you've shared. My grandma knew the names of so many flowers but alas I don't have that gift.
xo