Tuesday, October 30, 2007

turning colors in the gardens

I'm not doing very well on getting caught up in Blogland - but soon - promise!! We've had some gorgeous days, and I've been taking advantage of them. Soon enough I'll be spending more time inside, so I'm feeling the need to be outside enjoying the beautiful weather. Yesterday I went to lunch with my French classmate, Susan. Our teacher, Nadine, is in France visiting family, and she sent us an email. We checked our translations of her email with each other and then tried to come up with one to send to her. She'll get a good giggle out of our sentence construction, I'm sure!

I mowed the yard when I got back home yesterday. Today I washed windows and the porch screens. The dogs haven't been inside long enough to even re-slobber them yet - nice! We have a very small house - but it has 27 double-hung windows, 4 fixed windows (leaded glass by fireplace and two small ones in our bedroom), 6 basement windows, and 5 doors with windows. That is a ton of window washing!

I realized today that I have more iron pieces to share with you - what a surprise! :) I completely forgot about them when I was taking photos before. I also found several things still blooming in the gardens. And, finally, some of the plant leaves are turning pretty autumn colors.

The top photo is of geranium leaves - that bright red one is stunning. The second photo is my miscanthus ornamental grass. And coral bells in the bottom photo.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

For some reason your visit sounds delightful to me...like a fun relaxing time.

It is supposed to turn cold now. :(

Anonymous said...

what great pictures..
Happy Halloween
cheers from Canada
Gisela

Anonymous said...

I love your fall color and the iron flowers!

Britta said...

Nice fall colors...we had great weather here today, just perfect for the kids to go from door to door and enjoy this wonderful time of the year.

Happy Halloween, Britta

Diana LaMarre said...

Happy Halloween, Kris. Nice color in your plants.

I love all the iron garden ornies, especially the birdhouse. How nice that you are able to get in for those bargains!

I have not had much time lately for blogging or blog reading. I hope life slows down a little soon!

Unknown said...

Must be the season for washing windows--I just did mine, too! Unfortunately, that was over the weekend so the dog already has one slobbered up. She's keeping an eye on the trick-or-treaters. lol.

I love that first picture, with the red geranium leaves and the blue iris swords. But the miscanthus is absolutely gorgeous. Do you remember which one that is?

Susie said...

Hi Kris,
Lovely photos. Just had to say Happy Halloween my friend!
xo

Peter Hoh said...

Those geranium leaves are lovely. What are the still green spiky leaves growing among them? (I'm looking for some companion plants for my hardy geranium.)

Dirty Fingernails said...

you can just make your way over to my windows next!!:) Love the grass and the different shades in it..
Trick or Treat!

Elzie said...

Oh, I just love the colors in fall. Aren't they great? And you are so good with your camera.
Hope you're having a great day.
Love Elzie

I just wish that the days had more hours for everything I want to do LOL.

Trailhead said...

Kris, I've so enjoyed watching your garden from spring to fall. Now if we can just get that aerial shot I've been nagging you about, it'll be perfect! :) Hot air balloon, maybe?

kate said...

The colours are gorgeous ... it sounds as if you've been hard at work before winter truly sets in.

I wanted to say that your shed colour looks great! You might want to paint some boards in the same colour to practice stenciling on - to make sure you like the effect of different colours. Just a thought.