Friday, July 20, 2007

a fun walk-about

Okay, first, I just want to say that I am going to spend time blogging this weekend. I will check in on each of you, my fun blog friends, and I will answer all the lovely comments you've left me over the last few days, and I will do some posts before all of my current photos become un-current!

I feel like my life has been crazy lately, and I am not functioning well, and it is just time for that to end. So, thank you for having patience with me - it is greatly appreciated!


But, I simply must show you the fun stuff I found on my walk-around just now:

A turning red tomato!!!! Does this fall under the category of "just ask for what you want"??
Lynne, get in that car, it will be ripe by the time you get here!!


My first canna bloom - EVER!!!! This is the first year I've planted cannas, and these are the first buds. I am so excited!

I bought mini glads from Breck's this year - the first time I've planted glads. To be honest, I didn't really think I was missing anything by not planting glads before, but these are really very pretty. I think I put in about 50 plants in 5 different colors. So this is just the start!


Here's a red one - very pretty.

And the red and yellow together - didn't that work out nicely? Plus, these are sort of in front of my dark red climbing rose. (Trust me, all this color coordinating was a fluke!)

13 comments:

Laurie and Chris said...

I don't have glads planted either. This is one of chris's grandmothers favorite. I love fresh picked tomatoes!!! Are you ready for a BLT?

kate said...

Your flowers are lovely ... summer is a time for hanging out and enjoying the garden. Blogging can wait!!

Have a good weekend and I'm envying you that tomato!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting all these beautiful pictures of vegetables and flowers. I was unable to plant a garden this year, flower or vegetable and I am feeling the lack considerably. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra said...

I just found your blog and I am so glad that I did! I am redoing my front yard and puttin in a fairy garden with my 8 yr. old daughter and I love the ideas that I am getting strolling through your garden with you. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Connie said...

Your tomato will be ripe in no time! I like that yellow Glad with the pink blushed flower tips....very pretty. I haven't grown glads for many years, since I downsized my garden. Maybe I'll have to find a spot for a few.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I love that yellow glad with the pink tinges on the edges. Gorgeous!!

We're temporarily living in a trailer house right now, but when we get into a house-house, we're going to have flowers. Lotsa lotsa flowers!

violetlady said...

kris, check out my blog. I have given you an award. Congratulations. Your blog is so wonderful.

kris said...

Hi Laurie & Chris - I remember my mom and grandmothers growing glads, so not sure why I'd never had any - but they are kind of fun. There is nothing better than a tomato fresh from the garden - and, yes, BLT's will be our first meal!!

Thanks for the kind words Kate - I think that's just what I needed!

Hi Candace - thanks for visiting. I just had a quick look at your blog - Harry Potter rules!! Please come back anytime you need a garden fix!

Sandra - thank you for the lovely comment and for visiting! I took a peek at your blog too - very nice. I can't wait to see the garden you and your daughter are doing!

Thanks Connie! You're right, the tomato is turning fast - hooray! I'm impressed that you downsized (altho, I'm thinking from your photos that you still have a very nice sized garden!!) - I just had Mark till up a new space for me! I may be crazy...

Hi Tristi - I hear you! Until you get your own flower space, please feel free to visit here often!

Wow - thank you violetlady. I'm up to my ears in awards - and I can't thank you enough! I enjoy my visits to your blog, and I'm happy to know you like coming here too.

Dirty Fingernails said...

Congrats on the Canna.. It has such a tropical feel to it...Enjoy your harvest.

Anonymous said...

Oohh - You have tomatoes turning red! I have lots of green, but no hint of red yet.

meresy_g said...

I love glads. I plant them in the garden with the veggies cause I' never really sure where to place them in a flowerbed. Also it makes them easy to pull up in the fall. I had tons of baby bulbs last year that I planted and look like they might flower this year.

Kelly said...

It finally stopped raining long enough for my husband to get out into our garden and get some work done. Everything is so crazy overgrown.

kris said...

Hi dirty fingernails - thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I just took a peek at your blog - fun - great photos. Hope you stop by again.

Tracy - that would be tomato - singular - all others are very, very green! But we will thoroughly enjoy this first one!

Hi meresy_g - I am developing quite a fondness for glads myself. I have them in the front of two gardens this first year - not great for things behind - lol - but easy to get to when I have to dig them this fall. Actually, these are called mini glads and they aren't super tall - but the flower stalks seem to be normal sized...kind of interesting. I hope they'll bloom for me again next year (if I get them dug and replanted, of course!).

Myutopia - you have had the rain down there, haven't you? Send some of it straight north - we could totally use it!