Monday, July 9, 2007

I'm ba-a-ack!

Hi - I think my life is beginning a return to normal - finally! Thank you for all the comments over the past couple weeks - I will be answering you and checking in with your blogs in the next couple days. Feels good to be back!





This is the first time I've seen a caladium flower - looks kind of like a jack-in-the-pulpit, doesn't it? Very cool. I have caladium in two iron planters on the patio (street-side). They are growing like crazy and very pretty. And there are 3 flowers - maybe more in the works.



We've been kayaking a lot - I love it. As this photo shows, you get a whole different perspective in a kayak than you do in a boat. Big cattails!


My parents were at our house for about 2 weeks. We had a ton of fun with them here. We spent a lot of time just sitting at the end of the dock or under the shade trees in the yard - relaxing, catching up, enjoying happy hour! They mowed my yard twice - and deadheaded both of the big rose bushes down by the lake - you know, the ones with a zillion blooms! We went to the Arb and the Noerenberg gardens, to a working farm that is part of our county park system (more beautiful gardens), to hot rod night at the local drive-in, out to lunch, to dinner, Mom cooked, Mark grilled, we hit some garage sales, etc etc. It was lovely! One of my sisters came for dinner one night, and my nephew and his wife and daughter (7 1/2 month old Kajia - our family's first "great") were here for lunch on the Fourth.
It was a fun visit, and we hated to see them leave.


Tonight we were outside with the dogs and saw a couple "chitty-chitty bang bangs" go over. This guy was nice enough to fly right over us. Unfortunately Mark didn't have the good camera, so these aren't real clear - but I knew you'd want to see them anyway! There are several of these over the lake almost every night - it's very fun to see them. The parachutes are always very colorful.
I'll be talking to all of you soon- can't wait to see what you've been up to!

12 comments:

Trailhead said...

Ooh, haven't seen a chitty-chitty bang bang in a long time!

Karen said...

My first thought seeing the pictures was -- first the kayak, now she's flying! It must have been fun to see them right overhead.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back - I've missed your posts.

kate said...

Now those are cool - the Chitty-chitty bang bangs. I've never seen one quite like this!

That is one of the fun things about summer - visiting with family. I love those times!

I'm glad that you're back.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Kris,
At first I thought YOU were flying, too! I have never heard of a chitty-chitty bang bang. It does look like fun.

I have also never seen a caladium bloom. Very much like a Jack-in-the-pulpit. They must be related.

Enjoyed the 7 things about me post. It's so nice getting to know you better. In first grade I went something similar to a one room schoolhouse. Each grade had their own little house. It was in Flint, MI.

You paddle right through all those lily pads? They are so thick it seems like it might be difficult to get through.

Connie said...

Welcome back...so glad you had a wonderful time with your parents. Make the most of it! I lost my Mom this year and I miss those times.

kris said...

trailhead - they are fun to watch.

lol, Karen - I am way too chicken to ride through the skies on a go-cart and a parachute!

Thanks Lynne! :)


Thanks Kate - their chutes are so colorful! That's the part I would like - choosing the colors - lol! Family time is definitely one of the highlights of summer for me too.

Zoey - I think they have a real name - but every woman I've seen them with has called them chitty-chitty bang bangs - from the Disney flick. (and the guys go: huh? what are you talking about?)

The lily pads are on either side of a narrow channel that allows boats to go through. Without the channel, I don't think you could paddle through - they are definitely very thick. I hold my breath the whole time we're back there - hoping I won't fall out of the yak - it's a cool place, but the water quality is disgusting!

Thanks Connie - I know exactly what you mean - my dad turns 80 this summer and you start to realize that they won't be around forever - I try to make the most of every visit.

Laurie and Chris said...

Kris ~ I was wondering were you have been. I knew your Mom and Dad were staying with you so I thought you just took a break because of that:) It sounds like you kept busy.

kris said...

Hi Laurie & Chris - it felt like I hadn't blogged for a very long time! And it's really nice to be back. Think I'm caught up with everyone now - I love your Secret Garden photos - very fun!

Kelly said...

The pinkish green leaf on the top looks like what we have growing in our front yard.

Ladyseashells said...

What wonderful parents you have to help you mowed the lawn and pruned the roses, lucky you!

I have not seen a chitty-chitty bang bangs. Looks cool! And your Caladium flower is like Peace lily flower. I didn't know they flower.

kris said...

Hi myutopia - do you have caladium just growing in your yard?? I am so jealous! I have to dig mine up in the fall - not cold hardy. I plant them almost every spring though because they are so gorgeous.

Hi ladyseashells - thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! I just checked out your blog - very, very nice! You're right, the caladium bloom looks like the peace lily flower. I was thinking jack-in-the-pulpit because I have that in my gardens - but I bet the caladium and peace lily are from the same family.
And you're right, my parents are very wonderful - and they feel like they need to help out when they're here. (We'd let them visit even if they didn't help - but it gives us all more time for fun things!)