Monday, July 16, 2007

too much yakking

We came back from our daily kayak trip this evening, and I saw new daylilies blooming that I hadn't noticed earlier in the day. Obviously I am not spending enough time walking around my gardens!! I am loving the kayaking. Yesterday we went out early in the morning and again just before sunset - the water was perfectly calm both times - the only sound was the splash of our paddles dipping into the water.
The photo above is one of my dinner plate dahlias - I think it was named Mystery Day (from Breck's). It isn't as big as a dinner plate, but you could certainly have a lovely big helping of dessert!! There are a ton of buds on all of the dahlias - and I'm wishing I had put stakes in when I planted the roots. Live and learn I guess. My first try with dahlias - I will be planting them again! This is another smaller dahlia. I have all of these names somewhere because I just did them this spring. Can't seem to lay my hands on the list right now - when I find it, I'll share the names. There's a similar sized purple just opening and a dark red that's just started showing color. This is very fun!
One of my oriental lilies - is this Stargazer? I used to have all of these names firmly in my memory, but this year I can't seem to remember anything except the roses. I love going to other blogs and seeing the name of each lovely bloom - really wish I could do the same here! My orientals are not doing as well as they usually do - bummer, because the smell is so wonderful. I have them planted right in front of the porch and the scent wafts up into the porch on breezy days. I love it. My favorite oriental lily is Casa Blanca - it looks like white dotted swiss fabric - and smells heavenly. I'm hoping it will still bloom, but not looking promising.

12 comments:

kate said...

Your lily is beautiful. It looks like Stargazer ... they have such a wonderful scent! I once grew dinner-plate dahlias. My mum loved them so much that I gave them to her ... she seems to grow dahlias way better than I do.

I think it's great that you are getting in lots of kayaking. Our summers are so short that it's great to do our favourite summer activities.

kris said...

Thanks Kate! You're right - we have way too many summer toys, but we have to make the most of the nice weather when we have it. I am feeling a little guilty about all the weeds in my gardens though! :)

Kitt said...

I keep meaning to try dahlias, but I'm so lazy about fall cleanup that I know they would just be an expensive one-year annual for me; I would not get around to digging them up to save for the next year. Yours are lovely, though.

Weeds, though, I've got. I spent two hours yesterday just on the front of the house, pulling pulling pulling. Had to enlist a strong neighbor to get one stubborn monster out. (It was an unfamiliar weed I'd left to grow, thinking it might be a flower. Nope.)

Connie said...

Sure looks like Stargazer. That is the only lily I have, except for some common orange ones. I like to pick a couple of blooms and put in a vase...the fragrance fills the whole house!
Kayaking in the quiet of the day sounds so refreshing.

Moe said...

Those dahlias are magnificent!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Beautiful Dahlias! I have not grown dahlias for years, I did not have much luck storing the roots/rhizomes over the winter. But they are a beautiful flower.

kris said...

Thanks Kitt - we'll see how well I do with digging up, storing and replanting.
I hate when you give a weed the chance to be something spectacular and then it repays you with just being a weed. :)

Hi Connie - fragrance in the house is a summer treat, isn't it? I love walking through the garden and having to stop and find what it is that smells so good.

Thanks Moe - more photos to come, I'm sure. They're just getting started.

Thanks iowa gardening woman! A couple of my neighbors assure me it's easy to store the roots over winter, but we'll see how that works for me. I would definitely love to replant them next summer.

Jean said...

Beautiful dahlias! I checked my books and they say the trumpet creeper is hardy to zone 4. The 2 that are hardy are the campsis radicans, the one I have and campsis radicans f. flava, a yellow one. Now you'll have to go get one!

kris said...

Oh my gosh - thanks Jean! I'm going out to get one right now! :) Thanks for passing on that information - yours is gorgeous and I just might like the yellow one too.

Laurie and Chris said...

Your flowers are so pretty. I don't have either knd planted. I better start making a list of flower I would like to have:)

violetlady said...

The thought of kayaking on a quiet lake is so appealing.

kris said...

Hi Laurie & Chris - thank you. My gardens could be at least twice as big after I see what everyone puts on their blogs! Very fun, isn't it?

Hi violetlady - kayaking is so fun! I honestly had no idea. Our lake can get pretty crazy, but my favorite times in the kayak are when it's quiet - good for the soul!